My Cat Goma Blog Update

My Cat Goma Blog Update

Link to My Himalayan Cat Goma Blog

Goma Had Emargency Vet Visit Again

Posted: 04 May 2012 08:20 AM PDT

goma-constipated
Hi Everyone, I have a bad news to report. Goma got really sick yesterday morning and I needed to take him to Vet immediately... Don't worry he is back home, resting now but I wanted to tell you guys what happened in detail.

May 3rd, 6:30AM: I noticed Goma is going to litter box a lot and staying there very long. Last time he did this was when he had urinary tract(blockage). I knew I need to take him to Vet immediately. I called Dr. Moore and she was kind enough to see Goma at 8AM.

8AM: Goma is examine by Dr. Moore. I explained his behavior and she also suspect that Goma might have another episode of urinary tract. She felt Goma's stomach and find that his bladder is almost full. Goma will be staying at the Vet for surgery...

12PM: Dr. Moore calls me and told me that he doesn't have urinary tract, but he is severely constipated. She took an X-ray and it showed large amount of poop in his stomach, almost to his back... I paniced because I didn't notice anything wrong a day before... but Goma has been constipated all along! Poor baby...

2PM: Dr. Moore calls me again and she told me Goma is ready to go home. At the Vet, Dr. Moore showed me Goma's X-ray and I was Stunned. I can not post X-ray so I will illustrate it here...
constipated-cat-xray
Goma had given enema and little poop came out at the surgery table, but after he woke up, he produced large amount of poop, in Dr. Moore's words "Goma had the most impressive post enema poop I have EVER seen!" I can not even imagine how much pain he was in with all that poop in his stomach...I felt like I am a worst mom in the whole world...

The cause: Dr. Moore thinks constipation came from not drinking enough water.

The solution: Give wet food instead of dry food. Mix more water and 4/1 tea spoon of Metamusil(non-flavored). Also give 1.5ml of Tuna flavored jelly(laxatives) for hair ball every other day. A lot of people also suggested to give can of pumpkin too. Basically I need to do whatever I can to make Goma drink more water.

Today May 4th 10AM: Goma is doing much better. He was mad yesterday. He didn't even let me touch him, but today he came to me and wanted to be petted little bit. He pooped little bit but mostly urine. I think he pooped out everything yesterday at the Vet(sorry Dr. Moore!). I separated Goma from Kuma, so I can monitor Goma's litter box. I would do that next couple of days to see the status of his constipation.

After thoughts... well, what a day we had!! As you can imagine I was freaking out. The most important thing is I need to learn how to recognize constipated cats. The signs are listed below:

How to recognize constipated cats
  • Infrequent bowel movements (or NO bowel movements)
  • Frequent trips to the litter box
  • Straining in the litter box
  • Crying in the litter box
  • Constant licking of the anal area
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Unkempt appearance (dry, brittle hair, lack of grooming)
  • Outward signs of abdominal discomfort, like scrunching into a ball or hunching
  • Vomiting
  • Runny, blood-tinged diarrhea
Via: Cat Suite 101.

When you read this I can now see maybe Goma was licking his butt a lot but what really made me realize something wrong was frequent trips to the litter box and straining inside of it. I didn't really paid much attention to litter box before, but now I know it is important to make sure cats are pooping and urinating regularly. Because what they produce in the litter box are the reflection of their health.
kuma-cares
Kuma cares about his brother Goma!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment