My Cat Goma Blog Update

My Cat Goma Blog Update

Link to My Himalayan Cat Goma Blog

Goma was diagnosed with Megacolon

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 10:14 AM PDT

megacolon-cat-01
Hi Everyone, sorry I haven't been blogging last week because Goma had to go back to the Vet to get enema again. He has been constipated before and given enema but this time Vet told me that he has this condition called Megacolon. His colon got stretched out and couldn't pass through large and thick stool because of it. A lot of cats have this condition, but I learn that with the right medication and diet it can be managed. But some cases when cats do not respond to medicine, surgery is performed to remove the colon. My Vet is oppose to having this surgery done to any cats because it is very hard for a cat...Goma is in two prescription meds, one Cisapride to strengthen the movement of colon, and Lactrose to loosen the stool so he can pass the stool easily. So far it is working well.

I don't know about you, but I worry about prescription medicine being too strong for Goma... I did a lot of research on Cisapride and it is banned for humans because it causes fetal complications. They are hard-core medicines and I would love it if I can find more natural way of improving interstitial health.

Cats are like humans, they need a good nutrients, bacteria and fiber in their diet to have a healthy colon. But it is hard to get them in their regular diet. So I decided to supplement his food with Fortiflora Feline Probiotics and a very good quality fiber called Thorne Research - ArabinexVET. My Vet suggested Metamucil but it is for humans and uses processed fiber. This product is especially formulated for animals and has superior quality fiber that are minimally processed, so it works better! I put 1 scoop of FortiFlora and 1/4 table spoon of  ArabinexVetin his wet food. I also found Standard Process Feline Enteric Support a very good overall digestive support for cats, this contains a variety of functional foods, both plant and animal, that "feed" the various components of the digestive system. It is good for both diarrea and constipation. I feed Goma 2 pills per day.
megacolon-cats
I really do hope with medicine he will get better I hear a lot of horror story that medicine stop working and you need to choose between surgery and putting a cat down...I imagined myself having to make the choice and I got really upset just to think about that...Right now I have to separate Goma from Kuma, so I can monitor his stool. I am officially "Poop Inspector" now! I will sit next to the litter box and watch Goma poop and inspect his poop! Not a sight I want everyone to see...but I am so happy when Goma poops!! I heard there are massages you can do for cats with Magacolon from Japanese websites...so I will do some read up on it and see if I can learn how to give belly massages!!

Natural Remedies For Cats With Megacolon



0 comments:

Post a Comment