BTB: No, it's not modern sculpture...

BTB: No, it's not modern sculpture...

Link to Behind the Bit

No, it's not modern sculpture...

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 12:20 PM PDT

Sept. 27, 10pm
I'm at Devon, and three guesses as to what this is (scroll down to see the answer).


Some sharp criticism for Devon management
Devon is notorious for dangerous stalls, and I know several years ago there was a thread on COTH about how  management was working on fixing things up. The Hilltop and Iron Springs barns were upgraded to palatial splendor. You'd think most of the regular stalls would be cleaned up by now.

Decidedly not.

The stall with Riley's name on it had probably 30-50 industrial staples in the interior walls-- most of the staples were partially pulled out, sharp edges exposed, about the height of his eye. I got some needle nosed pliers from my tack box and went to work.  After pulling about 20 out, I started collecting them, so there were more than are pictured above. The horses sat on the trailer for 45 minutes while I stood on a stool with those pliers. The whole time we were holding up a line of trailers waiting to unload their horses. The guys who managed parking were nice but they wanted us to unload and move on. I was pretty steamed.

A brief but heartfelt rant
Devon management claims they will charge you a cleanup fee if you leave manure. Manure! I'd welcome manure compared to this! Someone should be checking the stalls, removing this dangerous stuff, and charging the former incumbents. I didn't just get unlucky either. About half-way through my cleanup it occurred to me that I should just move to another stall (there were lots of free stalls), but when I checked, all of them had nails and staples (though not as many as my end stall, which was probably a tack stall).

After removing all of these staples we finally got Riley settled in. The front of his stall is a dutch door style with a wood frame above. Riley hung his head out, and I was petting him, and happened to look up--directly over his head, protruding 4" from the inside of the frame, was a big nail.  If he'd lifted his head higher than the doorframe. I re-inspected the stall and found two similar nails on the stall walls.

What idiots would leave a stall in this condition!!!!! This is making me really angry, so I'll sign off :-(.

Tomorrow is another day, and our class is bright and early. Bye now...

0 comments:

Post a Comment