BTB: Rolex April 28: Over before it starts for Katie Ruppel

BTB: Rolex April 28: Over before it starts for Katie Ruppel

Link to Behind the Bit

Rolex April 28: Over before it starts for Katie Ruppel

Posted: 29 Apr 2011 06:51 AM PDT

The very first dressage ride Bob and I watched was a non-starter. Katie Ruppel's mount Sir Donavan made a definitive statement: NOT TODAY.

The pair halted at X -- and they stayed halted for about 30 seconds while Katie urged him on, first subtly, then more urgently. He looked very annoyed and nappy. He eventually trotted off, only to stop again a few movements later, for good. He responded to his rider's urging with two huge bucks, but no forward movement. I saw Katie's hand go up, and I believe the judge excused her at her request.

Bob remarked that it's a shame we can't convey to horses when "it really matters" that they obey. I observed that if I were Katie I would probably take him back to his stall and whack him a few times on the butt with a broom, just because.

 Truly, I hope he's okay. My heart breaks for the rider. Here is some footage of Katie Ruppel and Yellow Rose Eventing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment