BTB: What's up with my supp? Part II: SmartPak's guilt-free plastic

BTB: What's up with my supp? Part II: SmartPak's guilt-free plastic

Link to Behind the Bit

What's up with my supp? Part II: SmartPak's guilt-free plastic

Posted: 08 Jun 2010 01:44 PM PDT

Well, you read my little diatribe on meds/supps. Here's another little issue with supplements.

As a barn worker and horse owner, I like Smartpaks. They're easy to feed,  easy to track, and easy to keep fresh. But I have to admit I used to feel bad about all that plastic. My horses already consume  a lot of the planet's resources -- the shavings, the manure, the long horse baths, the fly spray, and the list goes on. I have used Smartpaks for some time, but not without "green guilt."  It turns out, though, that this guilt is misplaced.
I'm green after all!
Last week I added another supplement to Riley's Smartpak -- and in talking with the Smartpak rep I confessed my green guilt. Well, God bless the rep. She referred me to Smartpak's green policies and practices (and a statement they published for Earth Day 2008)...
  • Smartpak uses recycled plastic (PET #1) that customers can re-recycled  in virtually every community in the US.   It's the easiest  plastic to recycle, it's impermeable, and it's light. Many standard supplement buckets are PET 5 or another type of plastic that is not easily recycled.
  • Smartpak recently made it's plastic "blister packs" thinner so that even less plastic is used.
  • Supplement products are delivered to Smartpak in bulk,  in reusable containers.
  • Most of the Smartpak processing and production is tracked electronically (no paper).
  • Their shrinkwrap is biodegradable.
  • Smartpak uses certified recycled cardboard and they reuse it.
  • They don't use styrofoam in shipping.
  • They're extremely efficient in their shipping and delivery (Barn Buddies is the tip of the iceberg), plus you save gas from trips to the tack shop.
The Smartpak literature provides a lot more detail, but to sum it up, green is their thing.  I may be a gluttonous consumer of unnecessary and frivolous equestrian products -- bling browbands, for example --  but I need not feel guilty about Smartpaks.

It's amazing and wonderful that something that's actually convenient is also green. It doesn't usually work that way...

Photo credit: taliesin from morguefile.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment