BTB: Riley's right front -- in the spotlight again

BTB: Riley's right front -- in the spotlight again

Link to Behind the Bit

Riley's right front -- in the spotlight again

Posted: 17 Jun 2010 01:13 PM PDT

This morning I dream  my phone is ringing, and I wake up. Was it a real ring? I check my phone. There's a voice message dated 5:55am, but when I play it back it's from the previous night, from my mom (go figure). Did my phone really ring? I still don't know. Who would call this early? 

I text the barn manager who should be bringing horses in now.  "Did u try to call?"  I take a shower, and when I get out, her text reply has arrived. "No,  just starting to bring the horses in." Whew.

Then 15 minutes later another message. "Riley lost his RF shoe and a lot of hoof."

She wasn't kidding....




Riley is on week six of his shoes, but that freakin' toe is so long! There's a giant chunk out of his Professional Choice bell boot.My farrier is coming this afternoon -- and I sent him this video -- he thinks he can put a shoe on but he has glue-ons if needed. Are glue-ons the answer?
Glue-on ProsGlue-on Cons
  • Hooves are not damaged by nails
  • Glue-ons stay on better than steel/aluminum shoes
  • Horse can wear glue-ons when hoof wall is damaged
  • Applied correctly glue-ons do not cause heel contraction
  • They are increasingly used for sport, not just rehab
  • Cost
  • Appearance (though this has improved)
  • Some farriers won't or don't know how to apply them
  • Better known for rehab than performance
  • Requires sanding of hoof wall
  • Some glues take awhile to set
  • Take longer to prep/apply than regular shoes
Those of you with glue-on experience far beyond the little I've dabbled in it -- what else???

0 comments:

Post a Comment