Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


How they do it in the Netherlands...

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 01:47 PM PDT

When I think of how we backed Riley for the first time, and compare it to this -- well it's a totally different approach! While I think Riley had the perfect introduction to the riding life, I'm impressed with this clip...



Why I'm impressed? Because of...

The Rider. She is tight as a tick, sitting lightly, and look how motionless her legs are. I would ride this way if my lungeing partner was flicking a whip behind a just-backed horse. I would also be whispering expletives at him as my heart pounded in my chest with fear. It would never have occurred to me that the first time a horse is ridden, one would use the...

Whip.
Look at this mare's ears. She looks as if she is contemplating whether to cooperate or not. Let's see, there's something moderately heavy sitting on me, I've got a metal bar tugging at my lips, and there's a long lash tickling  my hocks. Should I go forward or leap about wildly???. If she chooses the latter, it may be because she feels a little too confined by the...

Reins. Is it me or are they a tad snug for a first-timer? Maybe it's this mare's way of going naturally, but she appears to be driven forward into a frame. Unusual, as are her incredible...

Active, bending hocks. Love it! This is a nice, nice, talented mare. She doesn't seem to be struggling all that much with the work load, even in this...

Teensy 15 meter Circle.  If I were the owner I'd be at the arena's edge, mimicking the scream from Edvard Munch's famous painting.  Small circles =  Tork. Strain. Early arthritis. And she is so game, trying to comply with so much thrown at her.

If this girl does not buck now, she never will.

What do you think they'll do for an encore?
On her second ride, will they...
  1. Bring her out second level at a local show.
  2. Set off some firecrackers.
  3. Introduce some large predators in the ring.
  4. All of the above!
I really am kidding. Kudos to horse and rider. Still not sure about the guy with the lunge whip.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment