BTB: Harv meets Riley: A love story

BTB: Harv meets Riley: A love story

Link to Behind the Bit

Harv meets Riley: A love story

Posted: 20 May 2010 01:05 PM PDT

Recently a stall opened up at "Barn A" where I board Harv. As much as I love Barn B where I was boarding Riley, I couldn't turn down the chance to have both horses together. Both barns are terrific...

Harv's digs: Old style charm
Barn A is on a farm whose origins date back to the Civil War. There are miles of trails available to boarders in a parklike setting. It was at one time a top level eventing barn and now it's more of a "mixed bag" of pleasure and dressage riders. The staff provide horses with a high level of personal attention and they closely monitor the 20 horses in their care. 

Riley's place: Clean and bright
Barn B is a new 40 stall facility, bright and new and clean and well ventilated, with tons of amenities. I love the felt footing in the indoor, the presence of a sprinkler system, and the horse-friendly design of the barns. It's family owned and operated, and the folks there were integral to the success of Riley's rehab. I'm grateful to them and was glad they filled the stall immediately (long wait list). 

Barn B is the most upscale facility I've ever boarded at -- but  it's a financial stretch for me. Barn A is at my price point, and besides I love it there and trust the staff completely with the care of my horses. Oh, I work there too. Oh, and my trainer will come there.
    Harv and Riley: Together at last!
    Harv and  Riley have never met before last Saturday-- they're stalled next to each other now, and I'm tickled that they've totally bonded. Harv had been upset when the stall next to him was vacated -- he kept calling and calling for the  horse that left. Then Riley came,  cool and confident and curious. He settled right in, and actually helped to settle Harv down. They canoodled over the top of the divider and touched noses from their dutch doors. When I lunged Riley the next day, Harv was calling to Riley
    and Riley was calling back -- it was too cute.

    It is so wonderful to see both of them at once, and not feel that in visiting one I'm neglecting the other. I'm deliriously happy right now.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment