BTB: Harv's big feet: Renewed appreciation

BTB: Harv's big feet: Renewed appreciation

Link to Behind the Bit

Harv's big feet: Renewed appreciation

Posted: 15 May 2010 01:00 PM PDT

I have the same farrier for Harv as Riley. I asked him if he could recommend a hoof supplement for Riley, and he answered with a grin, "Give him whatever Harvey is getting!"

Harvey does not GET a hoof supplement.


Riley has given me a renewed appreciation for Harvey's big size 3 feet. I never thought about Harv's feet, they were always just there, doin' their job. He has lost two shoes in the time I've owned him, both times from cavorting in mud that qualifies as "extenuating circumstances." He has had one abscess of one day's duration.

Thanks to Harv I never had to know much about  shoeing and  hooves. I never had to know about Duckett's goofy dot, the bones within the foot, or how to wrap an abscess. My biggest hoof-related concern was figuring out when the farrier was coming next.

And Harv is a THOROUGHBRED. He must come from one of the few lines that have "good feet." If you can find a horse with High Tribute bloodlines (or Princequillo further back in the pedigree), take a look at their feet. High Tribute passes on good bone and good hoof.

Harv, you spared me so much hoof headache! Thanks buddy.

By the way, the barn manager told me that he and his pasture mate were maniacs in the pasture yesterday. Airs above the ground, squealing, launching into the air, etc. He's having a good spring.

0 comments:

Post a Comment