BTB: Riley update part 1: The good news

BTB: Riley update part 1: The good news

Link to Behind the Bit

Riley update part 1: The good news

Posted: 10 May 2010 01:48 PM PDT

There are a couple of Riley updates -- both good and bad. The bad part is, I hope, water under the bridge, but I'll share it tomorrow. I'm starting with the good news because it's the most recent scoop, and because it reflect my optimism for my boy!

With just one month under saddle, Riley participated in his first clinic, with Felicitas Von Neumann (my trainer riding). I was so excited to see Riley go I barely listened to the clinician. Thank goodness for that videotape! You'll have to forgive a few glitches, we're learning the new camcorder.

  I'm so pleased with Riley's progress and with my trainer's sensible, positive approach to bringing him along.  Felicitas gives great advice, and she spoke on one of the common problems starting babies -- steering! The video is below, and for those of you who can't view Youtube here is the Vimeo version.






Off camera Felicitas told me that one of the challenges to training horses is to create the "reward" -- you can't really offer treats in a meaningful way. She believes that horses truly enjoy being energetic, balanced, and tension-free and that when we create a situation when they can move in this way it serves as its own reward. She said she tries to establish the aids as AIDS -- something to help, that the horse appreciates, and not tools for control or punishment. She said if used correctly even the whip can be a positive aid to the horse. She's a fantastic clinician. While her fees are above the norm for this area, I felt she delivered the goods.

0 comments:

Post a Comment