BTB: Bad taste: I know it when I see it

BTB: Bad taste: I know it when I see it

Link to Behind the Bit

Bad taste: I know it when I see it

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 12:24 PM PST

I don't know what to think about these breeches, but the photo is a little alarming. Between the pose and the flesh color, it's a little too racy for my taste. It's fine to show off a nice figure, but I'm actually embarrassed for the model. 

Who does these photo shoots???
The pix look like Playboy photo shoots only with clothing. Who puts these models in  these goofy kittenish poses? It's as if the marketing dept doesn't  know their audience--women of all ages but especially the over-thirty crowd (for dressage).

Someone needs to point out to these companies that riding  is a sport. Sportswear these days is a lot more revealing, but when it comes to selling apparel, I like to see the ads market sports apparel, not sex appeal. Like the Nike commercials, you know? And I like to see things done in good taste.

That said, the shopper in me is undeterred -- there is a chocolate/pink version of this breech that I kind of like. To see the Australian catalog that is selling these, see link at Horseinthebox.com/au

And kudos to...
One breeches company always seems to come through with attractive but "normal" models for their products -- and that's Tropical Rider. I've gotten away from deerskin breeches lately, but the fit and comfort of Tropical Riders are hard to beat, and look at the downright friendly models photos. I mean, this girl could conceivably be a rider, and in fact she looks like she might actually get on a horse.  At a price point that is mid-range (if you think of Pikeur and Cavallo as high end), they're a great buy and they last forever. If you are looking for bargains, they also have great sales.

The one thing I don't understand about them is their name, which suggests they're primarily for southern riders/hot weather riding. They're not. I've been wearing my Clarino patch toasties pretty much non-stop since January.

0 comments:

Post a Comment