BTB: Trailer tansport: How safe is safe enough?

BTB: Trailer tansport: How safe is safe enough?

Link to Behind the Bit

Trailer tansport: How safe is safe enough?

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 03:57 PM PST

The ad below pretty much sums up how I'd like Riley and Harv to be transported. Sure, I'd change a few things, like the fact that  it's a bumper pull, and I'd definitely upgrade the tow vehicle.

But I'm liking the security detail.  I've actually met with guys from the Secret Service (once when Al Gore came to campus). Believe me, they look just like the guys in this ad, and they act just like the ones in the movies.


Oh, sorry--we were talking about trailering...
I have a reputation for being a PITA about trailering and travel. People think I'm nuts. I've even lost a friend over my horse travel mandates. Really.

In my ideal world:
  • Horses don't stand on the trailer unattended. 
  • Tanks are fully gassed before you load the horses (no unecessary stops).
  • No stops for lunch while horses wait in the trailer. 
  • Trips to horse shows, clinics, etc. are handled like a military insertion. Get'em there safe, do your thing, get'em home.
If that's annoying, well, I'm sorry. I don't see how people can be so blithe about putting their horse in a metal box and hurtling down the same road as a bunch of drunks and cellphone users. I want to yell out the truck window, "Hey, precious cargo here! Watch it!!!!" But most of all, I want a motorcade  of guys in dark suits.

On February 6 Riley will be in a trailer, careening down I-78, on his way to a dressage test clinic at Marilyn Payne's in Caliphone NJ. There'll be tons of video to share.

0 comments:

Post a Comment