Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


Am I too big/small for this horse?

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 01:37 PM PST

Lovely turnout, well ridden --
but she's a tiny peanut up there!
Most people I know, whether tall or petite, want a horse that is BIG. Being 5'10" and having little choice in the matter, I marvel that smaller riders aren't enjoying the considerable benefits of a smaller horse -- say, 15.2 to 16.2. They have fewer soundness issues, use less resources (bedding, etc), they don't require an oversized trailer, stall, or horsewear. They are often easier for ladies to ride successfully.

Aesthetically, finding a right-size horse depends on a lot of things. I can name a few, what other considerations are there?
  • How does the horse feel? Do you have enough horse in front of you? A smallish horse with a long neck may be just fine, while a larger horse with a shorter neck may leave you feeling like you're too close to his/her ears.
  • Where does your leg fall? Personally I don't feel this is of much importance, but a lot of riders don't want their toe to fall below the horse's belly.
  • Does the horse have a delicate build or a more substantive, chunky build? A gazelle-like horse will look better with a petite or slender rider while a chunkier horse may accommodate a broader range of rider builds.
  • I think this looks okay; the rider position on this pony contributes to a balanced look. I suspect it's a trainer in the irons.
  • Do you have a short or long torso? If you have a short torso, I feel you'll look nice on a smaller horse. Someone the same height with a longer torso may look a bit unbalanced.
  • What is the horse's work style? Does he/she need to be muscled around or can you shift a seatbone and get a reaction?
  • Where does your saddle fall on the horse's back? The saddle should not dwarf the horse's back, the last few ribs of the horse should not be covered by the saddle.
  • I suppose rider weight has some bearing -- especially how they carry weight. Someone with weight in their hips/thighs will "fit" more horses than someone with an apple shaped build or someone who is top-heavy. A heavier rider generally will look better on a more substantial horse.
  • If you are concerned whether a horse can support your weight, check this page.
I didn't really "research" this as I'm speaking more from the aesthetic viewpoint -- these are all just my opinions, based on observations and maybe a little reading that I don't remember enough about to cite. What do you all think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment