Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


Makeup in the dressage ring: Part 1

Posted: 21 Jan 2010 01:42 PM PST

Years ago, at an ESCDTA horse show, I watched a woman perform an upper level test in what could have passed for stage or theater makeup -- my mom's comment would have been "It looks like she applied it with a spatula."

It's a subjective sport
Dressage, like figure skating, falls somewhere in between the camps of sport and performance. I can see some makeup, and I personally am a fan of show ring bling. Perhaps what is needed is a What Not to Wear for dressage. There actually ARE dressage cosmetic companies, one called Piaffe (see right), and one called Dermspa. It's expensive but I applaud their tasteful colors and their promotion of a natural look. If you don't want to spend that much, I've heard one dressage rider recommend Revlon Colorstay Light, a sweat-proof light foundation with sunscreen.


My opinion, if anyone cares

My What Not to Wear list for dressage ring makeup is generally to look natural, which means...
  • No dark lipstick.
  • No bright colors.
  • No heavy eye-liner.
  • No pancakey, heavy foundation.
  • No fake eyelashes.
There is a dressage makeup, Part II. Hold on to your hats...

0 comments:

Post a Comment