Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


A glimpse of young Totilas: Clinic, 2007

Posted: 17 Feb 2010 02:13 PM PST

I can't take credit for any of the work that went in to *videotaping or **translating this 2007 clinic with Edward Gal and Totilas (then only 6 years old). It's fascinating to see a glimpse of the young Totilas before he became "a big deal," and we also see some of Gal's training methods, which I'm sure are controversial. The clinic is shown in three parts, and **translation for each part is available below.

There's a catch!
I'm assigning homework for readers. Watch Part 1 from 2:30 to 3:15 -- it's what I'll call the "pasture trot." Tell me, would you recognize that as Totilas? I'm not sure I would. Gal has said in interviews that he does not ask Totilas for show ring brilliance in their daily work. Even if this is toned-down-Totilas, you can tell he's really developed quite a bit in the last few years.

Part 1 (view translation for Part 1)


Part 2 (view translation for Part 2)


Part 3 (view translation for Part 3)




*The video is courtesy of Horsetribe on Youtube.
**The written translation was posted on a COTH dressage forum thread but the poster doesn't say where she got it. Thanks whoever did it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment