Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


Gaits Part 4: Knee action in dressage

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 01:35 PM PST

Disclaimer: I'm babbling on and on in this series, and I hope I don't come across as a know-it-all. I'm just a lil'ole lower level amateur. Still, I do a lot of reading, I watch a ton of dressage videos, and I try to sponge up everything experts say at breed shows, horse shows, and inspections. I don't think I'm saying anything blatantly inaccurate, and I try to quote sources where I remember them. Thanks for your interest!

If you look at Gifted in 1991, Rembrandt in 1988, and Ahlerich in 1984, none of them have particularly extravagant knee action. In fact by today's standards their gaits are a little quiet. I think Gestion Bonfire was the first horse I remember with that remarkable knee/hock action, and although some attribute knee action to rollkur, I think it is more that the Dutch seem to breed horses that have that round action.

How much is too much?
Well, most of the references to knee action in the dressage world indicate it's *desirable. So I was surprised to find an online discussion of Friesians being marked down for too much knee action. I don't think that judges mark down the knee action per se, but if it interferes with their ability to perform the movements -- like extensions -- they might be marked down. When knees are up, the reach might be limited, I think.

There's more evidence that knee action isn't always a wonderful thing...
  • Jane Savoie was quoted as saying that when knees are up, the neck tends to be short. To get a longer stride you have to "let the neck out."
  • Knee action tends to be more pronounced with an upright shoulder and a choppy gait.
  • The showy front end may draw attention away from a lackluster hind end.
  • Anti-rollkur folks say that there is research showing that rollkur tends to produce more knee action.
Most of the knee action I've seen at the higher levels of dressage is very pleasant to watch. I just hope that horses who are doing correct work aren't overlooked because their gaits aren't fancy.

*Exception: Totilas and rollkur debate, where some folks maintain it's artificial.

0 comments:

Post a Comment