Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


Gaits part 3: Gaits ain't all that

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 01:49 PM PST

I look at videos like this and think "Gaits, schmaits, give me one that wants to do the work." Check out this video of a an Arabian working at Prix St.George (ridden by a 15 year old in some of the footage):



No, he doesn't have purest gaits -- you can see the pacy walk and canter. He isn't an uphill horse. But look at his work ethic and focus, the consistency, and how hard he tries in the trot extension. It's a beautifully rhythmical extension, IMHO. If he is as easygoing as he looks, this is the kind of schoolmaster I would want -- except maybe 2 hands taller for my 5' 10" frame. An awful lot of talented warmbloods never make it past second level. Gaits and conformation make the job easier in some ways, but this video shows that the desire to please is what really makes a dressage horse.

Of course, I may get a comment from the owner telling me that the horse is a total firecracker to ride :-).

0 comments:

Post a Comment