BTB: Riding riley: A new kind of challenge

BTB: Riding riley: A new kind of challenge

Link to Behind the Bit

Riding riley: A new kind of challenge

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 01:32 PM PST



Friday night, two friends came out to watched me ride Riley. Thank God they are good, supportive friends, because it weren't pretty. It was after 8pm, it was about 24 degrees out, and Riley seemed anxious all by himself in the indoor. He was uncharacteristically spooky/tense, which is unlike him. We went around with his head alternately high in the air or rooting around his knees, and he was snatching fussily at the bit. I think I was nervous riding in front of others, but was I that nervous? My friends were helpful, assuring me it was not as bad as I was feeling it was. Then toward the end, I heard a sound I really, really didn't want to hear.

Riley was grinding his teeth.

I walked him on a long rein and looked at his face, which did look unhappy and tense. I got off. But I didn't think it was a good idea to quit -- every ride should end on a good note.

"Heather," I asked, "Would you get on him?"

Heather had not come to ride, but she gamely put on my tall boots. She is 5'3" and could only zip them up 3/4 of the way so that her knee would articulate. she looked like a spanish riding school master. She stuffed her hair in my helmet so it would fit her better. We shortened the stirrups. She got on, and walked him on a circle. He seemed a little worried but he was quiet -- so she pushed him to a trot.

Riley travelled with his head at his knees, then in the air, but in a few circles he started to relax. Heather used to exercise racehorses, and she grew up riding Saddlebreds. She knows how to sit quietly. In about 3 minutes he was travelling with a "falling down" neck and steady contact, though not round. He looked calm and relaxed, and we were all satisfied that it was safe to quit.

The grinding wasn't noticeable or loud except to me, the rider, but that and the rooting behavior I think stem from the same problem. My initial thought would be just go on a long rein, but then he dives with his head at his knees - not nose reaching for the bit but more defensively thrust straight down. To be honest he does this on the lunge too.

Suggestions, guys? 
 I remember years ago reading an article by Lendon Gray on correcting curling/overbent horses.  When I find it I'll summarize her suggestions.

PS -- I rode again the next day, and it went much better. He did grind a little off and on, but when I changed things up (transition, change of direction, even half halt) he stopped. Meanwhile I'm trying to by more conscious of my hands -- specifically I lay them against the saddle pad when I'm tempted to fuss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment