Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


Real moms make it happen for their horse-crazed kids

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 01:27 PM PST

In this holiday shopping season I can't help but reflect on how things have changed since I was a child. My own parents were hopelessly bourgeois, all hung up on the notion of living within one's means. Horses took a back seat to that old hackneyed phrase, "saving for college." As a horse-crazy kid it totally sucked.

Thank heavens things are different now. I mean, I've seen the Housewives of Orange County. The hip, cool moms have the decency to "feel inadequate" when they can't support their kids' expensive tastes. The modern parents know how to make it happen, by hook or by crook. In the Sacramento Bee article, it would seem that at least one parent did it "by crook." Read on....

clipped from www.sacbee.com

Convicted embezzler says obsession with horses fueled her crimes


Regina Schenck became obsessed with horses, she wrote to the federal judge who would sentence her for stealing more than $1.3 million from a prominent Sacramento law firm.

She had been told her eldest daughter "had a natural gift and could be an Olympic-caliber rider," but Schenck didn't have money to pay a trainer. She felt inadequate as a parent....

"As I took more money to supply my horse addiction, it never seemed to be enough. In my mind there was always that horse that would repay what I took, and then I was in so deep, I couldn't figure out how to stop the madness."


blog it

0 comments:

Post a Comment