BTB: Secretariat: A review

BTB: Secretariat: A review

Link to Behind the Bit

Secretariat: A review

Posted: 17 Oct 2010 04:08 PM PDT

Yep, I went to see Secretariat. Everyone I talked to loved it, and it truly is a feel-good movie -- you know, like Hollywood used to make? Any more it seems like gratuitous, gross-out violence has become the movie industry norm.  Thanks Disney for your 'new' radical approach to movie-making, and simply telling a good story.

Anyway, I did like the movie, but here are a few random observations...
  • John Malkovich, whom I love, is badly miscast as Secretariat's trainer. He would have been great in the role, but he just ain't convincing as a French Canadian. I knew people in my high school French class who could have spewed out more convincing French dialogue.
  • Diane Lane appeared to be channeling Laura Petrie from the Dick Van Dyke show. Being a huge Mary Tyler Moore/Laura Petrie fan, I was delighted.
  • The horse that played Secretariat (not running) was also badly miscast. Short-necked, unmuscled, oh-so-manageable, blah. No look of eagles, energy, or what track people describe as "class." Honestly, Harv on a windy day could have done better. The original Secretariat was one of a kind. Short of making him a cartoon, or claymation, not sure what can be done about that.
  • A few too many "I shall overcome" speeches from Penny. 
The best moment...
Which makes up for any nit-picky comments I can make... Penny is beset by tax issues, and her scheme for syndicating Secretariat fails. She walks out of the barn, sees the grooms batheing the horses. What she does next is something that all of us who love horses will instantly understand. It was the best moment of the movie, and that scene alone was worth my $10 ticket.

0 comments:

Post a Comment