My Cat Goma Blog Update

My Cat Goma Blog Update

Link to My Himalayan Cat Goma Blog

Japan M8.9 Earthquake 2 days later—My family Update

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 07:17 AM PST

I have been following Japanese news media all night, and also speaking with my mother about earthquake. Kyoto where my mother is not affected and now one of my brother is back home from Tokyo. My other brother went to Nagano in the morning of March 11th for band practice. He might be having problem getting back to Kyoto but he is ok. Hopefully he will come back safely.

This is definitely the biggest earthquake ever hit Japan. The Japanese government states the combined number for deaths and missing are 1700 people and it is expecting to rise (Mar 12th, 9am EST). Tens of thousands of people in affected area are still waiting for a rescue, among those who can move they are headed South. Food, water, electricity and other necessary items are very limited, people are fighting with very cold climate, hunger and sleepless nights. Japanese rescue groups are having great deal of difficulties getting through those impacted areas by road due to the debris. I saw people are rescued by helicopter last night. North of Japan continues to have smaller earthquakes rage between Magnitude 2-6, tsunami warnings are still in effect making the rescue sometimes impossible. The expert says they are still not out of danger, Japan will expect frequent earthquakes for months to come... There are earthquakes happening in Japan as I write!

Other concerns are Fukushima's nuclear plant. One of the plant has been overheated due to failure of cooling system. Actually, one of the nuclear machine exploded, 3 people within 20km area has been exposed to radiation now. Those people are hospital workers and patients waiting for the rescue. Most of the people around the nuclear plant has been evacuated. I am not sure what will be the consequences for nuclear leakage... News organizations are waring people not to go outside, wear hats and do not expose skin right now...

It is unbelievable to see the devastation M8.9 earthquake has caused in Northern Japan. The whole villages has completely washed away, we can't even tell where the land has been. My mother said we are still very fortunate that the earthquake did not hit the major cities, such as Tokyo. The most affected areas are seaside cities and villages that has smaller population. However, it does not change the fact that we are still in the state of emergency. I don't know how long, no one knows the complete picture yet...all we can do is pray that all the rescue effort will go smoothly, and find survivors and get the care and supplies that they need as soon as possible.

For those would like to help go to these sites, any amount will help:



I will resume my regular blogging tomorrow.


0 comments:

Post a Comment