Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


Let's talk hay, part II: The experiment

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 04:48 PM PST

My good friend has her own barn, and she buys the best hay she can find. I mean, fragrant, gorgeous, green, soft, hay. By her own admission, she's extravagant with it, feeding a half-bale at a time. "It's basically extra bedding for them," she told me. "I want them to lie down in the sweetness of this hay and feel they've gone to heaven." You go, girl! When I lived in North Carolina I used to go to a place called Gourmet Hay and pick up 80lb bales of alfalfa hay for $18/bale. That was 1998. Harv was a butterball.

Let's play mad scientist

In my imaginary research lab, I would take a group of horsewomen ("horse moms"), and a group of women off the street ("control moms"). The subjects would be wired to measure heart rate, blood pressure, and galvanic skin response -- physiological stuff that relates to emotional state. Each subject would be asked to view two photo images -- one at a time -- while hooked up to electrodes. Here are the images...


Here are the imaginary results, mom emotions on a mood-ring scale (don't worry, it's super scientific)...


I have to tell you, I could look at that horse photo all day. The size of that horse's girth has a calming effect, don't you think? It also tells me that his mom really cares ;-). I look at the baby, and think, geez, I hope no one asks me to wipe that off. Tell me I'm not alone here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment