Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


2010, Where have you BEEN?????

Posted: 31 Dec 2009 01:34 PM PST

I was on the plane flying home from Christmas, and overheard two passengers talking (loudly) about what an awful year 2009 was. Tell me about it, I thought loudly in their direction. I was thinking about Riley's ordeal.

The blonde passenger, who talked a blue streak, told the other woman she lost her mother in 2009.

Oh. Never mind. Sorry.

She wasn't done though. Three weeks after the funeral her father packed boxes of his deceased wife's clothes to take to the Goodwill. As he descended the stairs with the boxes he fell and broke his neck. She lost both parents in 2009.

Oh, Geez.

When did this happen, her companion asked? Blonde replied, it happened at 7pm at night, in July -- the night before her birthday.

Can this be real? I hope, for everyone's sake that this woman is a pathological liar.

More sadness
Sounding surprisingly chipper, she added that in 2009 she also lost her beloved Chow dog, named Lo Mein. She had him cremated. The companion asked if she kept the ashes.

The ashes, sure, but Blonde had more than just the ashes as it turns out. Whenever she brushed Lo Mein, she put all the brushed-out hair in a garbage bag, and kept it. Kept that bag of hair for years. After Lo Mein died, she bought a throw pillow cover with a picture of a Chow on it. She removed the stuffing and replaced it with the dog's hair.

Okay, that's kind of creepy. Creepier even than my eavesdropping on total strangers (conversations on a plane are fair game, I say). I suppose I have some variation on a bagful of dog hair in my house. Whatever brings you comfort.

I learned a lot this year, but it wasn't exactly the year I dreamed of having. So what about you guys? Did ya have a good year? What was your highlight/lowlight?

0 comments:

Post a Comment