Behind the Bit

Behind the Bit


A horse bill left unpaid

Posted: 29 Dec 2009 12:58 PM PST

I always pay the horse bills first -- the farrier doesn't leave the property without a check, and the first checks I write each month are for the vets, the boarding barn, and whatever other services the horses have used. I'm fairly compulsive about it, because I don't want to give these folks I depend on a reason to hesitate in caring for my horses.

The drama
But back in October, I received a vet bill -- not my regular vet, and not New Bolton for those of you who might wish to gues. It's a middlin' amount of money -- less than $500 but not by all that much.

I'm not going to pay it. Without going into detail, it is a bill that I feel strongly I am right in not paying. Bob was "on the sidelines" observing when services were rendered. He is a stickler about settling debts, and his credit rating is exceptional (so is mine for that matter). When I told him I didn't want to pay, I expected him to advise me to pay it and forget it. To my surprise, he shared my feelings. "I would rather let my credit rating take a hit," he said.


My communication
I had phone conversations with this business concern, and when I received the bill, I wrote them a letter. It was about a page in length, explaining why they would not be receiving payment, and it was sent certified mail. That was in October. I heard nothing, and I was just beginning to hope they had forgiven the charges.

Then this week I got a phone call. In the voice mail that they left, it was clear that they had not read, or chose not to mention, the letter. My experience with this business is that it's quite possible it was lost or misplaced. I faxed them another one, referring to the certified letter sent previously. Frankly it is a situation I'm weary of thinking about.

What is the right thing to do?
I have a stubborn streak when it comes to things like this. I work in customer service, I know when someone is getting jerked around. My workplace is not perfect but they try to give people a fair shake, and we admit when a mistake has been made. I want the same thing now, on the receiving end.

Update: A few days before Christmas I heard that the bill has been forgiven. What a relief, and I am grateful to the service provider in question for ending this so graciously.

0 comments:

Post a Comment