BTB: From where I sit: Riley's ears

BTB: From where I sit: Riley's ears

Link to Behind the Bit

From where I sit: Riley's ears

Posted: 20 Nov 2010 12:00 PM PST

After 12 years of riding Harv, I've grown accustomed to his way of going.
  • He spooks early and often.
  • He never met a downward transition he didn't like.
  • He pricks his ears forward -- hard -- at all times.
It's this last point that I'm thinking about now. Rarely do I make Harv so indignant that his ears go back, or even sideways. It's a thoroughbred thing, I bet.

That's one reason riding Riley is such an adjustment. On his back, I look at his ears, and feel a pang of anxiety. Oh, no! Oh, no! He's so unhappy! His ears are rarely pricked at attention. For the last few rides I dismounted feeling bummed, like I was... well, pissing him off.   

Wednesday night I rode him outside a lesson, and actually had a chance to look at the arena mirror as we rode by.

Riley's ears are at half-mast, or they're out to the side, sure. But his expression is sweet and mild, or maybe thoughtful.

Check out this photo. It's a warmblood thing, maybe?


0 comments:

Post a Comment