BTB: Progress feels slow, and it is

BTB: Progress feels slow, and it is

Link to Behind the Bit

Progress feels slow, and it is

Posted: 12 Nov 2010 01:02 PM PST

My last lesson went fairly well -- and of course you're going to see the "best bits."
What you didn't see/hear is the 10 or 15 minutes prior where Riley was pretty much setting his own course. Here you see some decent work at at the end of the session, but he's getting tired and a little dive-y.




What led up to this...
Riley was very forward, but also "head in the air" as we turned toward the barn. I knew things were going pear-shaped when Riley suddenly veered in the opposite direction I intended to go. I can't even say it was disobedience -- Riley must have felt there was no one at the helm.

My trainer described how I was allowing Riley to lean (usually on the outside rein) -- I needed to have better control of the shoulders. I had to position him to be poised "in the direction of your choice" at any given time. We did an exercise to establish control (mine). The trainer would say things like "prepare to circle left.... [pause pause]... and then don't." Also counterbending exercises. It helped.

But I wish I could progress faster.

0 comments:

Post a Comment