BTB: Absorbine Ultra Shield Green: A field test

BTB: Absorbine Ultra Shield Green: A field test

Link to Behind the Bit

Absorbine Ultra Shield Green: A field test

Posted: 25 Jul 2010 06:07 PM PDT

Hi all. I field tested a product for Absorbine (which they sent me for free). As a loyal user of their Flex-Max Plus and other products, I can't really say I'm neutral/unbiased about the company. However, I had never tried their green fly control Ultra Shield Green (USG). Green products are fine if they do the job their intended to do, but when it comes to the horses I go with what works. I've not heard rave reviews of most green fly sprays, especially for the big honkin' flies we get. Bob calls them Buicks with wings.

Harvey was the guinea pig -- for whatever reason he attracts more lies than Riley. I'll let the video demonstrate it's effectiveness. Forgive the quality, I was "working alone."






When it comes to fly sprays I use what works, green or not. I used USG interchangeably with Endure (which I already had on hand) on Riley and Harv. Judging from the number of fly bites and comfort of my horses in their buggy pastures, there was no difference in effectiveness. Because my horses are ridden, and hosed/sponged off nearly every day, the many-day-longevity of products like Endure is not a factor for me. USG retails for anywhere from $17-$19,  and my online store of choice, Smartpak, sells USG for $18. Bottom line: I would buy this product next time I shop.


Info from Absorbine: 
"UltraShield Green is a natural fly repellent that repels and controls biting flies, mosquitoes and gnats for up to eight hours as demonstrated in an independent university study. It is 100% guaranteed and eco-safe for the entire family and the environment. You can even put it on your dog for walks in the woods! It contains only a blend of essential oils known to have repellency properties, an emulsifier, water and glycerin. UltraShield Green qualifies for exemption from EPA registration, and is labeled a Fly Repellent instead of just a Horse Spray. We think this makes new UltraShield Green a product of note."

0 comments:

Post a Comment