BTB: Ya had to get me started on the sixties...

BTB: Ya had to get me started on the sixties...

Link to Behind the Bit

Ya had to get me started on the sixties...

Posted: 30 Jul 2010 01:09 PM PDT

When I posted my Hair post, one commenter wryly observed that the movie version was produced in 1979, the peak of the "me decade." Yes, I appreciate the irony too. However,  at least a few of us in any generation are stuck in the previous generation. I was a  child of the seventies in many ways, but my role models were from the folk era and early sixties -- in junior high and high school, I was listening to Bob Dylan, Peter Paul and Mary, Joni Mitchell, and the Everly Brothers. 

Born 10 years too late...
My idol and role model at the time was Mary Travers of Peter Paul and Mary.  She was the real deal. Even if you think you remember her, watch this video and bring her coolness back into sharp focus. The whole video, now!  It's just TWO MINUTES. Geez.





I knew better than to try for Mary's kick-ass bangs, but here is my attempt at Mary Travers hair. Maybe with a little Peggy Lipton ( The Mod Squad?)  thrown in.Oh, and John Denver glasses.



Sigh. It makes me sad to think that there are no Joni Mitchells, no Mary Travers'es for today's young women. Are they out there? Am I missing them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment