BTB: What's an Equine Podiatrist: Part II

BTB: What's an Equine Podiatrist: Part II

Link to Behind the Bit

What's an Equine Podiatrist: Part II

Posted: 16 Jul 2010 01:38 PM PDT

We've talked about about the Institute of Applied Equine Podiatry in Part I. I researched the primary degree-granting institute in the U.S. (Institute for Applied Equine Podiatry).

DAEP Student/graduate satisfaction
I haven't read about graduates who are unhappy or dissatisfied with their education. The staunchest defenders of the Institute are its graduates. 


Skills of the graduates 
My personal experience is limited to N=1 so I'm a little light on data points, plus I'm not really qualified to judge. I can say that the two horses under the DAEP's care seem to do well, and one is fitted with the hoof wrap advertised on the Web site. They don't provide good traction but seemed to serve their purpose (transitioning the horse from shod to barefoot. The DAEP is enthusiastic and loves his job. That can't be bad.

Opinions of the experts
There wasn't much on Google aside from the Institute's Web site and forum postings -- primarily farrier forums and COTH. Opinions of the skills of Institute-trained DAEPs are diverse. Farriers (at least the ones participating on forums) are pretty disdainful, but then there is always this crazy conflict about shoeing versus barefoot.  On other forums, it's more of a mixed bag.  I don't think it's possible to conclude that the Institute is a total scam, but it's reputation is not unassailable either.

What's the bottom line on Equine Podiatrists?
I'll give a big thumbs up to Steve O'Grady ;-), but what about the Institute?  Frankly my biggest gripe is the fake PhD described in Part I. This lapse in judgement/honesty speaks to the character of the founder, who is also the primary instructor, administrator, marketer, and developer of the trimming system -- everything, soup to nuts. It taints the whole program IMHO.

When it comes to hiring a DAEP, I would approach it just the way I would buying a horse. Don't look at the breed, look at the individual.
  • Ask the DAEP to describe the approach he/she uses.  
  • Look at examples of his/her work. If you cannot assess the DAEP's skills, get someone to help or get references. Ask around!
  • What's the DAEP's background and experience?
  • What's the DAEP's attitude? Look for signs that the DAEP is promoting a system at the expense of your horse.

HAVE you used a DAEP? What was your experience?

0 comments:

Post a Comment